Sunday, May 25, 2008

"Little Things" Make A Big Difference


After reading The Green Book I realized that some of these steps are simple but if you are not in the habit of doing them, then they are incredibly difficult to commit to. It just seems more convenient and comfortable to simply to not do them. I think that this is a problem that can be solved by the adults of today changing little by little and the parents teaching their children how they to do things so that it benefits the environment, us. If parents start closing the faucet while brushing their teeth they are passing that habit onto their children, they are helping save our environment and doing a great deed for themselves.

Little things (ranked from easy to do right now to the hardest)

1) Closing the faucet while brushing my teeth: I think this is something I can do if I set my mind to it and just do it routinely.
2) Reusing plastic bags: In my house any bags brought home from shopping is saved and used to pick up after my dog or for the garbage cans. However, carrying taking my own bags to go shopping is something that would be kind of difficult for me and inconvenient.
3) Not Flushing the toilet as much: This is something that I happen to find quite difficult doing. I do not use the toilet to flush just tissue paper or cotton swabs. I don’t think it’s in our control how many times a day we use the toilet, and I think that it is bad-mannered to leave the toilet unflushed.
4) Keeping microwave clean: It wont be too easy for me to keep my microwave clean because I do not live alone and I don’t have great memory to remember to maintain it clean.
5) Recycling: Is something that I find quite difficult because I wasn’t taught to do this while growing up. I will have to learn how things get recycled. I live in an apartment building where they don’t require us to recycle.
6) Unplugging appliances: This would probably be the hardest task for me because it makes it such a hassle to be plugging them on and off all the time. It takes time and patience and it’s something that many people don’t probably think of doing.
7) Keeping the shades closed: This is not something too hard for me to do because I spend most of my time outdoors, I do not need the shades open, specially during the summer. However, since I do not live alone it becomes a task trying to keep the shades closed.

I will promise myself that from now on, I will be closing the faucet while I’m brushing my teeth and in continuing to reuse plastic bags.

7 comments:

Komal Patel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Komal Patel said...

I agree with your comments on turning off your appliances when you aren't using them. I agree that the flushing less part is really hard, there is no way you can flush less, it would be rather disgusting to leave it unflushed.

The World said...

I must say that I agree with you because during our lives we learned so many good things that we tend to forget for the simple reason that we do not practice them. So when things aren’t teach to us it’s even harder. Also, the point you made about unplugging our appliances is very true, must of us don’t event think about. It seems that the simple things to do are the hardest in life.

Doctor X said...

the easiest way to turn off appliances is to buy a power bar. It protects the appliances, you turn everything off with one switch, and you pay less electricity!

playablue said...

The thing about the habits is to do it for a month, because it has been proven that if you do a habit for 30 days it it becomes apart of the routine...so make it 30 days and you probably made it.

anyway for all the saving the environment that is going the best route is to think about what you do and the reaction it causes to your environment...theink about where things go and where they come from.....think like a kid but with an adult mindset at the helm.

playablue said...

Try making a change that is one of the harder ones a peranent part of you life,...

But as with computers, the are Library workshops, that they have there for you to learn how to use the computers, some one on one time with the faculty to help you out.

christina said...

i hate having to plug and uplug my appliances also. but what you could get is this multi jack that u plug all your appliances too and it has a switch to power on and off so insteading of unpluging everything you can just switch it off and on. that i think helps